Monday, May 30, 2011

Books for Awesome: The Candy Bombers


Andrei Cherny is the author of the book The Candy Bombers: The Untold Story of the Berlin Airlift and America's Finest Hour. Reading the book, I felt fully immersed in post WWII Germany. When I would come up for air, I had trouble reacclimatizing myself to my peaceful surroundings. Cherny paints a vivid picture that explores the background of all the major players and then interweaves their stories in a captivating tale. I LOVED how he emphasized with such clarity the tragic hopelessness of the situation and then contrasted the powerful tenacity of the Berliners and the humanitarian efforts of the allied forces. The personal commentaries and vignettes added depth that many times made me cry! I want to go to Berlin.

No comments:

Post a Comment