Saturday, March 14, 2009

Currently I'm not very disciplined when it comes to my schedule, my finances, working out, etc.  The fact is that I am a very laid back, chill, flexible person.  (Most of the time... there are exceptions to this.)  What this means is that I have only recently paid off my credit card, I have no savings, I'm over weight, and I'm tired because I can't seem to get to bed on time.  Not being able to get to bed on time is a sign that I have awesome friends and roommates (who are also friends) that are fun to talk to into the wee hours of the morning.  My body isn't so grateful for good friends the next day when it has to function, however, and wishes I would care for it in a more responsible manner.  Oh, body.  Why are you so needy all the time?  Part of my problem is that I have always felt very entitled.  My parents made amazing sacrifices for me so that I wouldn't have to sacrifice to get what I wanted.  They helped med significantly through college and supported me on my mission.  My father wisely cautioned me that because of parental interference my experiences wouldn't be as meaningful.  He is right.  "... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph..."  Thomas Paine.  I still got a great deal of good from those experiences but it would have meant more if I had sacrificed to achieve my goals.  Well, what's done is done but I'm realizing a problem in my thought process.  It's hard for me to realize that $13,000 is earned one dollar at a time.  Small retrenchments in my spending patterns can get me where I want to go.  Rate of goal achievement is directly related to my dedication in sacrificing behaviors that impede my progress.   So, what am I to do?  I can either stay the same and hate myself for not achieving my potential or I can stretch myself through the slightly uncomfortable but ultimately rewarding process of change.  The fact that I've lived this way all my life is an obstacle.  As we see ourselves doing new things we feel strange and not like ourselves.  Is this me getting up at 5am to exercise?  Is this me saying no to dinner with friends to save money?  Is this me bringing my lunch to work every day to be more healthy?  It's a surprise until new behavior becomes custom.   I almost have myself convinced...

1 comment:

  1. Good ideas! Tell me when you get there! I am trying too, but seem to be behind in all those things you mentioned. I am doing better at the "workout"-- no car means more work out, walking around to the train, the school and sites. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete